Skip to main content

H1N1 Nightmare

Last Thursday was an ordeal that I don't want to go through again.

The growing numbers of H1N1 cases has made us very wary. Moreso for Ate A who just came back from the Philippines. She was really nervous that she might have contracted the virus while she was there. To add to the "games" playing on her mind, she had a cold. Wednesday night, Pre asked me to pass her the thermometer. He wants her to be at peace. She was really scared after watching TV Patrol that when I asked her if she wants to go for a check up, she said yes.

The next day, Thursday, I asked permission to work from home so that she can have her peace of mind with a checkup. Her temperature before she left the house was 36 something. So for me, it was just routine, I just want to give in to her wish. Well, also to make sure that the girls were safe.

I got a call from her that the doc wants to send her to the hospital. Huh?! Why? She said that when the doc took her temp, she had 37.6. Still, I argued with the doc that it's not fever. The doctor was adamant that they need to report it to MOH. So, Pre told me to just let them call the ambulance and take Ate A to the hospital. That was at 10AM.

Pre was sent home after he told his boss and HR that Ate A was suspected to have H1N1. I told my colleagues as well. Just to be on the safe side. And, everything ballooned into a big drama.

Ate A was picked up at 130PM, imagine waiting outside the clinic for 3+ hours. Then, was also on hold for the swab test because her BP shoot up. Nerbiyosa pala. Hayyyy... So, anyway, at around 330PM, she sms'd me that the swab test was done. And, that they were told to stay there. Ate A was nervous wreck that she couldn't give me more details, if she will be staying at the hospital or if they will allow her to go home. We comforted her by telling her that H1N1 can be treated and that she shouldn't be scared.

For all the drama until 6PM, she was sent home in a taxi paid by the hospital. She looked harassed, her eyes puffy from crying and she needed to be isolated. She locked her room just to be sure that Bebi A won't go in.

All those times, I was thinking that it couldn't be H1N1, that it was all in her mind. I was stressed.

The next day, my colleagues kept on sending me messages asking me if I am ok. I said I am but of course, the story has become a different one. That I had high fever, blah blah blah... Where did that come from? I was very clear in telling one of my colleagues that Ate A has slight fever and colds. Nothing more, nothing less. They kept bugging me for results. I kept calling MOH and all they can tell me is that they will call us.

At around 4, we called them again. Result is out but they are still sorting it out. They said that they will call us in 30 minutes. They didn't. By then, I was already a bit fed up with all the drama that I asked Ate A to call MOH. Ayun, "NEGATIVE" Sows!!! Hayyyy....

That night, I felt so tired. Wished it didn't happen. And, feels a bit funny to come to work on Monday. Oh well, life goes on.

Comments

Unknown said…
oh man. what an ordeal! buti na lang loves ni ate a mga babies mo and made sure she was okay. =) i'm glad no swine flu there. so scary!
Benga said…
so happy too that it's over, lam mo naman sa Pinas megaOA ang mga balita kaya nakakapanic hehehe
I do hope that H1N1 "fever" will be over soon, take care!
marikit said…
overblown ang swine flu reaction sa pinas.. :( parang nung sars days in 2003. haay.

glad that your ate A tested negative..

Popular posts from this blog

Busy

Bebi A : Daddy, can you make me an airplane? Daddy : Later Ava, I am busy Bebi A : You always say you're busy, you're hurting my feelings... She then put her face down on the sofa. Drama queen!

She's 2!

At 5

Today is the eve of Dawter T's 5th birthday. I couldn't help but reminisce about how she grew up from this jaundiced baby that I had to leave in the hospital to a girl who is vibrant and full of questions and who wouldn't want to be left alone. She's Cinderella's number 1 fan but is now discovering Kim Possible and Totally Spies. She likes to play with the computer, she sometimes uses it to draw using MS Paint or to surf Barbie's website. She doesn't want to be called baby because she's now an older sister. She likes to sleep holding my hand. She loves scrapbooking with me and my friends. She's very good at doodling and was kidding my Mareng M that she'll have her own line soon. HeHe... She's even better at stamping than me. She likes school and doesn't want to skip it even if she's sick. She doesn't sleep early. She sleeps at 11pm (the earliest). She's a very picky eater. Takes her own sweet time to finish a meal. But, eats