Skip to main content

Craving for Milk and Honey

I was blog hopping and saw pictures of New York City. A childhood longing was again triggered. Oh well, it has been my dream to go to the US one day. So many attempts and still I haven't stepped in the land of milk and honey.

Year 1997, I was all set to go on a vacation with daddy. So, I applied for a tourist visa. At 21, they only see one thing in me : TNT! So, my application was rejected. 3 months after that, my daddy died. How I wished that the consul had given me the chance to spend a special vacation with daddy.

Same year, week after my daddy died, I got a call from a headhunter. I was to be interviewed for a possible job in the U.S. Still in mourning, I walked up there and braved the series of technical questions. Few days after, I was in and they asked me to pass necessary papers to process my H1-B visa. Early December, I received my NOA. Once again, woke up early to line up outside the U.S. embassy. This time, I was lucky to receive my working visa.

I could have been in Chicago by January. But...

I was not yet ready. I couldn't leave my family. I decided to delay.

So, just when I was ready, recession begun. The headhunter couldn't give me a job anymore. So I might as well tear my visa from my passport and have it framed.

Was I ever sorry for not going that fateful January 1998?

Heck, no! I made a neat bunch of friends at Amkor (one of the reasons why I didn't want to go), saw cousin Kyle became a toddler and spent more time with tita E. Furthermore, I believed that it's fate. I wouldn't have met Pre and have my daughters if I went there.

Still, I am hoping that someday, I could set foot there. This time hand in hand with Pre and my two daughters. Much more fun if we all see Mickey Mouse in Disneyland (even if there's HK Disneyland, still want to go to LA), see the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, walk along the streets of New York...

Someday....

Comments

sugar rain said…
waw dream ko din po yun ket happy nako dito minsan may katiting pero malakas na pwersang bumubulong sakin na pumunta pa din dun ket bakasyon lang hehehe =) i know one day our dreams will all come true! *sisigaw ako sa golden gate... PINOY AKOOOOO* nyahahaha

Popular posts from this blog

Busy

Bebi A : Daddy, can you make me an airplane? Daddy : Later Ava, I am busy Bebi A : You always say you're busy, you're hurting my feelings... She then put her face down on the sofa. Drama queen!

She's 2!

At 5

Today is the eve of Dawter T's 5th birthday. I couldn't help but reminisce about how she grew up from this jaundiced baby that I had to leave in the hospital to a girl who is vibrant and full of questions and who wouldn't want to be left alone. She's Cinderella's number 1 fan but is now discovering Kim Possible and Totally Spies. She likes to play with the computer, she sometimes uses it to draw using MS Paint or to surf Barbie's website. She doesn't want to be called baby because she's now an older sister. She likes to sleep holding my hand. She loves scrapbooking with me and my friends. She's very good at doodling and was kidding my Mareng M that she'll have her own line soon. HeHe... She's even better at stamping than me. She likes school and doesn't want to skip it even if she's sick. She doesn't sleep early. She sleeps at 11pm (the earliest). She's a very picky eater. Takes her own sweet time to finish a meal. But, eats