Skip to main content

Mommy

In lieu of the upcoming Mother's day on Sunday (hope my hubby reads this before then haha), I would like to honor the ladies that brought me life --- in their own way...

I had lactoce intolerance when I was born. I couldn't take breastmilk, cow's milk --- only goat's milk. Meeehhhhhh! My papa even had to go to Cebu to buy my milk. And, worst story of all was that because of my condition, they had to leave me in the hospital for a month. Bills piled up. My papa who was only 21 or 22 then had just started work. Though, I am sure that my other relatives will help out, it was still not reasonable to let me stay there for a month. Thus, my lolo came up with a solution.

My mommy. Yes, she's the solution my lolo was referring to. She's the matriarch of the family and his sister who likes to take care of all her pamangkins and possibly, the first apo of the family. The only catch that my lolo could see was that it will be hard for my parents to get me back. True indeed, I didn't go home. My home was with my mommy and daddy plus their two adopted daughters. I never questioned, I was too comfortable in the home I grew up with. It tore me to pieces when I had to stay with my other family because my mommy and daddy were out of the country. One incident I remembered was. My mommy and daddy went to US and I had to stay with my other family. I felt so sad that after school, I asked the school bus driver to bring me to my "real" house. Then, I stayed there till my mommy and daddy arrived.

My mommy was a disciplinarian. Good thing, I still had ears from the years of "pingot". She never really spanked me but then, pingot was also painful. But, the thing is, she may have a strict demeanor, but deep inside, she's very sweet and thoughtful. She'll cook (best cook ever!) your favorite dish or always gives you the your fave chicken part. She's the mother I wanted to be minus 70% of the kasungitan (but I think I still may have inherited it).

She taught me about God. We always had to pray the rosary at the strike of 6PM. Imagine, at 5 years old, I already know all the mysteries of the rosary (in Tagalog and English). I attended almost all processions for the feast of this and that saint. When I have a major test, she will light a candle for me in our altar. I always go to her (when I don't have classes) to the first Wednesday mass at Baclaran and the first Friday mass at Quiapo. The thing is during that time, I only come because I know there's a reward awaiting for me after the trip, haha. Little did I know, I will reap a better reward later. I mean, getting to know God in a personal way is the ultimate reward, isn't it?

First term, first year in college. I failed my computer subject. I was afraid to let my mommy know. I don't know if she'll understand me. The thing is, she surprised me once more. Instead of a sermon, she cooked (yes, cooked) potato chips for me! Amid tears, I finished it off. I was so touched. Thus, I vowed to do better.

Funny how life is. She got sick and died during my second year (I even had to talk to her into waiting for me to graduate but to no avail). It was a devastating year. I always prayed before that I would want to go first before she did because I don't know if I can take it. But, then, God is the best healer. Until now, I still once in a while shed tears when I remember her. And if there's a problem, I still ask my Mommy to pray for me.

She's a woman I have put in a pedestal. And, I never once regretted what became of me. How I wish she can see my daughters. I think she'll be fond of them as well. Now that I thought about it, I believe my mommy prayed that I get to have girls --- just like her.



To be continued : Mama


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy

Bebi A : Daddy, can you make me an airplane? Daddy : Later Ava, I am busy Bebi A : You always say you're busy, you're hurting my feelings... She then put her face down on the sofa. Drama queen!

She's 2!

At 5

Today is the eve of Dawter T's 5th birthday. I couldn't help but reminisce about how she grew up from this jaundiced baby that I had to leave in the hospital to a girl who is vibrant and full of questions and who wouldn't want to be left alone. She's Cinderella's number 1 fan but is now discovering Kim Possible and Totally Spies. She likes to play with the computer, she sometimes uses it to draw using MS Paint or to surf Barbie's website. She doesn't want to be called baby because she's now an older sister. She likes to sleep holding my hand. She loves scrapbooking with me and my friends. She's very good at doodling and was kidding my Mareng M that she'll have her own line soon. HeHe... She's even better at stamping than me. She likes school and doesn't want to skip it even if she's sick. She doesn't sleep early. She sleeps at 11pm (the earliest). She's a very picky eater. Takes her own sweet time to finish a meal. But, eats